Religion in


Operators are standing by..


Architectural detail of Manly Hall

See the campus map for the location of Manly Hall, building 74 on the map below, in the top right corner, located on Capstone Drive.

The Department is located next door to Clark Hall (building 73), which houses the office of the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, across the street from Gorgas Library (building 92) and just a short walk from the Ferguson Student Center, simply known as "the Ferg."






Send all correspondence for faculty and staff to:

(Name of person)
Department of Religious Studies
212 Manly Hall
P.O. Box 870264
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0264

Please address all general inquiries to:

Phone: (205) 348-5271
Fax: (205) 348-6621

Postcard of Manly Hall, University of Alabama
(date unknown)

The offices and classroom for the Department of Religious Studies are located on the second floor of Manly Hall (built in 1884), on old Wood's Quad in the center of the University's old campus. The Department's main office is located in 212 Manly Hall and its Lounge/Library is located in 200 Manly Hall.

As is apparent from its wrought iron trimmed balconies and High Victorian Gothic style, the building--which also houses the Department of Gender and Race Studies, formerly Women's Studies and African American Studies (first floor), a computing lab, and Art and Art History faculty offices (all on the third floor)--was designed by William A. Freret, the prominent New Orleans architect (who also designed Garland and Clark Halls, two of the other four buildings that comprise Woods Quad). Manly Hall is named after Basil Manly (1798-1868), a Baptist clergyman who came to Tuscaloosa from Charleston, SC, to be the President of the University of Alabama from 1837-1855. Manly was the first occupant of the newly built President's Mansion, completed in 1841, when the school's total enrollment was just 63 students.

In the Spring of 2004 President Manly was in the news on campus concerning his writings, practices, and views on slavery. Read an article from the student newspaper, the Crimson White, on this topic. To learn more about the era in which Manly was President of the University, visit the site for "Opening Doors"--a three-day program, held in June 2003, to mark the 40th anniversary of the racial integration of the University of Alabama on June 11, 1963, when Vivian Malone and James Hood enrolled at the university--the day of then Governor George Wallace's much publicized "schoolhouse door stand" in front of Foster Auditorium.